As a new mom, keeping up with some of my old routines and rituals has never been quite as important. Some might think that I’d say the opposite, that “there’s no time anymore,” but I’ve quickly learned that it’s crucial to make the time. Everyone has their own parenting style and what works for some families, might not work for others. For me, taking out the time to do the things that make me feel good, make me a better wife, a better mother and an overall happier person.
These days, Nate has been going down to sleep at 7:30-8PM and sleeping in 6-7 hour stretches. I’ll usually take that opportunity, at least once a week, to do my at-home, pampering beauty routine. It always involves the following: a hair treatment and deep conditioning mask, a face mask and some serious dry brushing followed by a luxurious body oil. One of my guilty pleasures has always been getting professional mani/pedis, so that’s usually reserved for another time. In these photos, I’m wearing O.P.I. Big Apple Red.
Below is the breakdown of what I do and my favorite products for each:
For those of you who’ve been following me for a long time, you might remember that my hair used to be crazy blonde. It was a phase in my twenties and while it started out as something I was into, as the years went on, it got a little out of hand. Basically, it was a blonde base with blonde highlights and what they call a “double process blonde” in the hair world. I woke up one day (probably as a much smarter thirty year old) and decided that it was time to start from scratch. It took me over a year and a half to grow it out. It got to a point where not only was the color not flattering, but it also got severely damaged. I’m telling you, blonderexia is a real thing. During the grow out process, I needed some additional help along the way and the Nexxus New York Salon Care Emergencee Line was one of the main things that I relied on. First and foremost, the main key player was, and continues to be, the Reconstructing Treatment, a high concentration of proteins collagen and elastic and THE BEST at repairing damaged hair. After this treatment, I shampoo out and finish off with their hair masque. I was lucky enough to go into the Nexxus Salon last week and pick up the masque exclusively used at the salon and take it home for personal use. For the masque, some evenings I leave on for thirty minutes and then on some days, I sleep in it. This combination has whipped my hair back into shape and made it healthier than it’s been in a long time.
My routine is as follows:
2. Rinse and apply Nexxus Emergencee Pre Reconstructing Treatment.
3. Rinse out with shampoo.
4. Apply Nexxus Restoring Conditioner. If you want to take it a step further, ring hair out and apply the mask. Leave on for as long as you want. Too much moisture can never be a bad thing! I like to take it even one step further and put on a plastic shower cap and use a little heat to really penetrate the mask in. Or sometimes, I’ll throw my hair in a braid and go about my day or night.
In the past, I’ve written about the amazing benefits of dry brushing and it’s something I’ll continue to do for the rest of my life. Admittedly, I don’t do it every single day like I should be, but on the days that I do my full beauty routine, I make sure to really incorporate it in. There’s nothing else that leaves you feeling quite as invigorated and any product that you use after, will just melt right in. I like to follow it up with a luxurious body oil. If you have yet to give dry brushing a go, start now! Your skin will thank you.
No beauty routine is complete without some TLC for the face. I’m all about killing a few birds with one stone, so while the hair treatment is working its magic, I simultaneously do something for the face. I like to switch up what I use, depending on what my face needs that day. Sometimes it’s a dose of moisture, sometimes it’s intense exfoliation and on some days, it’s a combination of both.
My current routine is as follows:
- Wash face with cleanser of choice and a cleansing cloth. Remember, if you’re wearing makeup or sunblock, do a double cleanse. Personally, I stay away from foaming cleansers and prefer something with a creamier consistency like Kate Somerville’s Goat Milk Cleanser.
- Prep face with an exfoliating toner. This really helps whatever you use after, to really do it’s thing. I love Biologique Recherche P50 before using any mask.
- Use your mask of choice. This time around, I used Dr. Hauschka Moisturizing Mask.
And there you have my routine. Anytime I complete a version of the above, I feel like a new person!